Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Trying to stay warm






The past two days have been very cold here. My nose and toes never get the chance to warm up and I haven’t yet taken off my coat. Today I decided that I had to do something about this situation. The kitchen is the only logical place for warming up so I usually go and stand next to the very large jiko. Today I wanted to help out and get involved. The cooks all laughed but gave me a choice of two knives I could use. I took the one that was not as sharp. I sat cutting sekuma wiki for 45 minutes. Not only did I finally warm up, but my back, hands, and arms became very tired. I don’t know how these women do what they do for feeding 60 children 3 times a day. Sekuma wiki is a green leafy vegetable that is eaten every day around Kenya. Before it is cooked, it is tough like collard greens. I really enjoy it!

I returned to my office since I had warmed up only to immediately freeze again. I’ve been told many times that we are going into the summer months, but I haven’t seen any evidence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where DID YOU FIND THE CUTE KITTY!!!!! That is awesome! Rhonda you are wearing huge earrings that is hilarious!! go you!

Ash