Saturday, November 10, 2007

End of school and matatu rides

We are one week away from ending the school year. In the States, when we are one month before closing school for the year, you would think the world is coming to an end. Here, you cannot even tell a difference. The kids go about their business preparing for exams and playing during breaks. I sit outside watching the kids during their recess time while trying to cover my skin as it burns so quickly here. I have yet to even see an argument on the soccer field. I know they do have arguments, but I have not witnessed one yet.

Yesterday I was riding on a matatu (bus) at 1:30 in the afternoon. This part of Kenya is very cool in the morning, but as summer approaches,it is becoming very hot in the afternoon. As I boarded, I was told to go to the back of the matatu - the worst place to sit because I feel very hemned in since I can see every person in front of me. The bus is only supposed to seat 14 people as clearly stated on the side of each matatu, but rules are rarely followed. The driver continued to stuff people in till there were 20 of us. Now I know this is normal but what always makes me wonder is why the passengers refuse to keep the windows open. Here we are stuffed like sardines into a closed vehicle at the hottest part of the day and just when we begin to pick up speed, they shut the windows. Everyone must be as hot as I am! I pondered this question during my entire ride. Later I found out that Africans don’t like wind. I don’t like wind either, but in that situation I’m for any gust coming my way. Each ride is an adventure for one reason or another.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You were probably wishing that deodorant was a daily habit for Kenyans too! :)