Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Prayer requests

I am working with a student named Linford. He is a delightful young boy who contracted cerebral malaria at a very young age. I have been told that the medication he was taking is what caused problems with his speech and learning. I don’t have the experience working with a student like this. At times I think of Anne Sullivan and what she felt like with Helen Keller. I know the situation is far from hers, but I imagine Anne knew just as little about working with Helen as I do with Linford. I ask for prayers that God show me just how to work with Linford. I already know he is a talented child that just needs unlocking.

I am slowly working my way into the school system, the new culture, and completely different environment, but sometimes days are a bit rough. I have made many new friends, but they just aren’t home. During this big holiday season, I ask for prayers over my loneliness.

I am working with a total of 13 kids right now. They only have two more weeks of school before their final exams for the school year. I just ask prayer over each one as they continue working hard through these next weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda,
Chuck and I were reading your blog. We will pray for you and your work with Linford. I had a autistic child and felt really frustrated at times. We will also pray for your loneliness during the holidays. Try to find the good in it--you won't be overwhelmed and busy like Americans are at Christmas!!
I really admire your obedience to God's call. I will make it a priority to collect money for school shoes or cleats. We miss all of you. Please tell Elizabeth N. we love her and hope her eye is getting better. Please also tell Sheila, Selina, Alice, and David Nunu we said hello and we love them too. Actually, please tell everyone we said hello and we hope to see them again some day.
I told Mama Cheri I would plan to send laminated charts, alphabets, etc. for the school.
Please hold your head high and know you are making such a difference. Remember Jeremiah 29:11!

Much love,
Shirley (& Chuck)