Thursday, May 22, 2008

The joy of giving

I wish all the Shelton students and teachers who contributed for Challenge Farm to buy new shoes could have been with me when I gave out the new shoes. I feel like they did all the work, and I got to have all the fun of giving.

The scene was a bit chaotic because the leather shoes were new and the kids aren’t used to putting on new shoes. Everyone reading this must remember going to the department store and smelling the new leather shoes and then trying their best to cram their foot in while the sales clerk inserted a nifty shoehorn to help things along. These kids didn’t understand that at first leather is stiff until it loosens up after being worn. So, if they couldn’t easily slide their foot into the shoe they automatically thought the shoe didn’t fit. This caused some minor confusion. Almost all the shoes have been passed out except for some exchanges we need to make in sizes. The new Pumas for the two soccer teams will be passed out at the end of this week. I was also able to buy new uniform socks to go with the shoes. I was really amazed that the kids were just as excited about the socks as they were the shoes. Some times life is all about the simple pleasures.

No comments: