Monday, May 26, 2008

Arms open wide





I spent most of this morning stuck in the office trying to get through some blog writing and picture posting while it was a beautiful blue sky day. I decided I needed a cup of tea to warm me up. It gets cold in the office even though the sun is shining bright. In order get a cup of tea, I have to find the gate guard and ask him to turn on the generator that sends electricity to the building where my office is located. Then, when it’s turned on, I hustle to fill up my electric teapot, wait a few minutes while it boils then go find the gate guard again to tell him he can cut off the electricity. Now I pour my hot water and settle in for a nice cup of tea. Today, when I went to go find Chege, the guard, I instead found 6 young girls running up to me with arms open wide. This picture is so different from when I first came and they were very stand off. Now the loving hugs and fingers through my hair has become a daily occurance as well as the highlight of any day. The kids have really become so comfortable here. After all the hugs were passed out, they lingered around playing with my hair and singing. The girls began some English Christian praise songs so I was able to chime right in. Here we were swaying, arms linked over each others shoulders and singing loudly for absolutely no audience. I have no idea why these particular girls were out of class but neither did I care.
What a precious moment this was and a perfect way to kick off the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you engaged?