Thursday, January 31, 2008

Farm life update






If you’ve read my previous blogs, you will already know that I’m completely fascinated by the farm life here. Today I was walking to the kitchen to cut up some pineapple when I saw a small pink animal dash off in the distance of the shamba. I immediately knew that we must have piglets and no one told me! Excitedly, I hurried down to see the filthy yet cute animals. There are a total of nine one-month-old piglets running in the shamba pin. I’ve never been around piglets before that I can recall. They really are fun to watch and cute as can be. I’m excited to watch these little guys grow up. I’m not too fascinated in the full grown pigs as they are just big and fat but I’ll enjoy watching these little ones run around for a few months.

Later in the afternoon during lunch break I was relaxing in the grass when one of our 3 month old calves walked up. He was very interested in me as I lay in the grass in a green shirt. I kept wondering if he thought I was grass and wanted a nibble. I had kicked of my flip-flops to become more relaxed and the calf came right up and started licking the bottom of my foot. Oh how it tickled but it was so sweet that I let him continue.

I left around 5 o’clock to head home. I had driven the car to work because I was transporting a couple of large things from my last home back up to my office. It’s always nice to drive home because I get there so much quicker than my usual routine. On this particular day, I didn’t manage to get home as quick as I should have. I don’t drive the car much so the gas light usually stays on because I never fill up too much at a time due to cost. I guess I didn’t judge correctly on how far I could go today because I ran out of gas on the way home. The most unfortunate part was that my phone was completely dead to where I could not even turn it on to find anyone's phone number. So, when I waved down a Kenyan on a bike, I couldn’t even use his phone to call because I didn’t know anyone’s number. The gentlemen that stopped were very helpful. One took my gas can and left by matatu to go get some gas while the other one stayed with his friend’s bike and me. Everyone that passed us stared a while wondering what we were doing chatting on the side of the road. Within 15 minutes the guy was back with my petrol. Luckily, I had one empty water bottle in my car and we used my trusty Swiss Army card that included a knife to cut off the bottom and use it as a funnel. I was on my way after a 40 minute delay. Whew!

No comments: