Friday, November 21, 2008

Back in Kitale









I have just gone through two 8-9 hour flights, a night's stay in Nairobi, a bit of souvenir shopping, and an hour and a half puddle jumper flight to Kitale but I've made it back. I love Kitale very much, but I surely do wish it were a lot closer to home.

All the flights were very smooth, and I got as much rest as anticipated. Upon arrival to Kitale I was able to look out the window and see the top of Challenge Farm. I've flown into Kitale several times, but this was the first time I spotted the orphanage. My excitement really began to build as realization set in that I am back. I have been gone about 3 months, the longest I've been away from the kids since I met them October 1, 2007.

When we landed, I saw a glimpse of purple uniforms. I thought to myself, "Challenge Farm has purple uniforms." I looked out the window again and there was my friend Whitney with a camera in her hands. She had brought about 15 students and two staff down to greet me at the airstrip. My excitement quadrupled. I couldn’t wait to see the kids. As I walked down the steps, I was greated with many smiling faces. Immediately tears filled my eyes as pure joy had overtaken me. All the kids had handshakes and great big hugs to pass out to Lynn and me. (Lynn is a friend I connected with in Amsterdam; she lives in Alabama. This is her first time back since she came last October with the Alabama team I talked so much about on my first blogs.)

After greeting a few of the kids and taking in the situation, I looked past the two homemade signs and saw Sammy. Many of you know his story but do not know that with our new sponsorship program starting, I chose to sponsor him. We made eye contact and I enthusiastically waved him over. He had the biggest smile that I'd ever seen on him. I gave him a HUGE hug and told him how great it was to see him. I had received word a couple months ago that he was very unhappy and wanted to run away, so I'm very thankful he's doing well. It’s good to be back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blessings to both you and to Sammy.

Love,
Your friends back "home"