Sunday, December 2, 2007

For those fellow Grey’s Anatomy fans

I decided three weeks ago to go ahead and buy a season pass to itunes for season 4 of Grey’s Anatomy. I began downloading the first episode with such excitement. It took three hours, but I was ready to go home and watch and knew that it was well worth the wait. Turns out, I had only downloaded the new music video by Matt Kearney to kick off the season. You could imagine the disappointment I was feeling. The next time I went to the Internet café, I began downloading the real first episode. It took me somewhere close to 20 hours to download ONE episode! So, every time I went to the café, I would first open itunes, wait to see that the downloading began, then I would start to email. Just one hour before my departure to Nairobi, the downloading finished.

I was ready for the holiday and couldn’t think of a better way to begin. I rushed home, copied it to my ipod, and waited for the hour drive to the airport to watch it. Kitale is about one hour from Eldorat International airport. After getting into a seven passenger matatu sort of van, I began sinking into my seat and the Grey’s Anatomy world. Not much swayed my attention from the show. Only once did I pause because I could have sworn I was smelling BBQ, so I had to glance out the window; there was no Sonny Bryans or Stubs anywhere to be seen. The credits began to role and I stared out my window to soak up my new surroundings. I smiled at how great technology is that it enables me to watch a new season of my favorite show while in the middle of East Africa.

No comments: