Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Turning Point

I’ve reached a pivotal point in my life, this one taking me where my dreams have been for six years. In 2001, while attending my brother’s wedding in India, I was offered a job at the Woodstock International School. Though excited about my first teaching offer, I declined, but I knew from that point that I wanted to be a missionary in a third world country. I wasn’t sure when the time would come, and I prayed I hadn’t missed my opportunity.

In June 2006 I participated in a mission trip to Yei, Sudan. How God led me to that trip instead of a return mission trip to Honduras is precious to my heart. Before I left for this short term trip, I had considered moving for a longer period but while there felt a lack of confidence in my teaching skills. I was not worried about the area, the living situation, or lack of American comforts. Instead I just felt a distance from God; the great desire I had had for moving there disappeared. Back home, friends asked the ever so burning question, “Are you moving to Sudan?” My answer varied from time to time. I was still missing that conviction I had had in India. My distance from God grew.

Around November 2006, four months after the Sudan trip, two friends and I began a Bible study by Priscilla Shirer, titled “He Speaks to Me.” Each of us was facing big decisions. This study brought me back little by little to those desires I had had prior to my Sudan trip. The excitement grew each day, but I wasn’t ready to mention it to anyone. I wanted to know for sure. That assurance came on Friday, January 7, when we were in the middle of our Bible study; it became very clear to me that I was to move to Sudan. The drive home was a blur as my thoughts settled on the Yei orphanage. I felt like Mexican jumping beans were bouncing through my body. Monday, I emailed Amy at Harvesters stateside, who promptly emailed Mama Lily and Dennis, head of the Yei orphanage. I could not have been more uplifted by their response. Within one hour, I received more positive emails from Harvester board members. Since then in many various ways God has encouraged me in my decision.

No comments: